Community Options Program for the Elderly (COPE)

The Nevada Aging and Disability Services Division's Community Service Options Program for the Elderly (COPE) provides non-medical services to older persons to help them maintain independence in their own homes as an alternative to nursing home placement. This program is similar to the HCBW Program. Please call for more information.

    What Services Can COPE Provide?

    COPE services can include the following non-medical services:

    Case Management

    Assistance by a licensed social worker in determining the needs of the client, arranging and monitoring services.

    Personal Care

    Assistance with personal care. Which includes:

    • Bathing
    • Grooming
    • Toileting
    • Transferring/Ambulating
    • Dressing
    • Eating


    Assistance with:

    • Meal Preparation
    • Light Housekeeping
    • Laundry
    • Shopping

    Social Adult Day Care

    Provision of supervision and activities in an Adult Day Care center for 4 or more hours per day on a regularly scheduled basis, for one or more days per week, in an outpatient setting.

    Adult Companion

    Non-medical care, supervision and socialization in the senior's home to provide temporary relief for the primary caregiver.

    Personal Emergency Response System (PERS)

    Electronic device that enables individuals at high risk of institutional placement to secure help in the event of an emergency.

    Chore Service

    Heavy household tasks, which are intermittent in nature, and may be authorized as a need arises for the completion of a task, which otherwise left undone poses a home safety issue.


    Provides short-term relief up to 24-hours of care for the primary caregiver.

      Who is Eligible for COPE Services?

      To be eligible for services, an individual must meet the following requirements:

      • Be 65 years of age or older.
      • Be at risk of institutionalization (nursing home placement) if services are not provided
        (meet Level of Care for nursing home placement).
      • Be financially eligible (call for current income guidelines).

        How Can I Apply?

        If you believe that you or someone you know may be in need of COPE services, fill out the referral form listed below, and contact the Aging and Disability Services Division (ADSD) office nearest you. For a listing of regional offices, click here.

        Once a referral is made to the appropriate regional office, a social worker will contact the individual in need of services to determine which services are most appropriate for them.

        Once a person is determined eligible for services, a social worker will remain in close contact with the client to assure services are appropriate and are meeting the needs of the client.

        ADSD personnel are dedicated to the provision of quality services, which assist individuals to remain independent in their own homes.

        For Additional Information

        Please see Policy CBC-MS200 Community Service Options Program for the Elderly (COPE)

        Aging and Disability Services Division Administrative Office

        3416 Goni Road, Suite D-132
        Carson City, NV 89716
        (775) 687-4210